Geoff and I went to his best friend's wedding on Saturday, and I was constantly bombarded with the usual "so when are you two getting married?" question. My response was pretty standard...we're not really ready, and we won't force each other into something that makes us uncomfortable. But, due to my lightning fast reflexes, I caught the bouquet anyways :P
I'm not saying I don't want to marry Geoff. But at this point, we both have too much freedom. Not saying of course that we would lose freedom once we get married, but people do tend to lose a bit of their independance when they sign the marriage contract. I don't ever want to feel like I'm not in control of my life. And I don't want to try to control Geoff either.
We are different people, we react differently, shop differently, and we don't always understand each other. I wouldn't change him for anything, because I'm with him because of who he is, not who he could be.
My family may be against the idea, but I seriously think that the wedding day is a bit of a sham. It costs thousands of dollars to everyone involved...all for one day. If I had a choice, I would have a very private ceremony (immediate family and two or three very close friends) and then have a huge party afterwards, where no one had to try to dress up. Very casual, very fun.
I do want to marry Geoff, but to spend a years salary on a single day seems rather...obtuse...
I have been to some extravagent and expensive weddings, but I have always been more moved by the smaller weddings where there is more heart than wallet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like the private ceremony idea...I think i'd get married on a beach, very casual. Good call on not changing Geoff ;P
Post a Comment